Thursday, January 20, 2011

For February


This short sci-fi novel by Adolfo Bioy Casares is similar to the better-known "The Island of Doctor Moreau" by H.G. Wells but has its own extensive cachet as a point of many different cultural allusions, including the TV show "Lost." The protagonist, a fugitive on a desert island, finds his lonely existence altered when a group of tourists arrives on the island, but then they disappear again. He's forced to consider various theories as to what's really happening.

How about Feb. 14? My social calendar is empty that day. Hehe.

8 comments:

  1. I might also add that there was another choice I considered by Ian McEwan, but the synopsis included sexually predatory behavior. And I thought, I always seem to gravitate toward that stuff. Don't I? So I open up a sample page of said novel and spotted the word "buttocks" twice on one page! And I thought, well, let's take a break from buttocks. We can always go back to them this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Casares is from Argentina, which fascinates me. Can't wait to read.

    (I am available to be wined and dined on V-Day, cl, but you better act quickly. I'm certain countless offers are going to start inundating me at any moment.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious whether my therapist will cancel my standing Monday evening appointment. The inscrutable Wally may have affairs of the heart to tend to instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, are folks ready for this shortly, or do you need a few more days?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm about two-thirds through. Will be finished tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry guys, I'm running a little behind. But start discussing, and I'll chime in when I'm ready. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just finished the book, so I'm ready whenever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I will start posting Thursday!

    ReplyDelete