Thursday, December 16, 2010

Selling hot dogs to each other

When the big cat lady tells Frank she has a restaurant (where people come and eat and look at the cats), he tells her he has one too.

"Restaurant, hey. That's what I've got. Whole goddamn country lives selling hot dogs to each other."

That seemed like an astute observation about American capitalism during the Depression: people just selling junk back and forth.

Frank really had a few zingers, and you have to wonder, given the narrative frame, if he said/thought those things at the time or if they were born from the wisdom he seemed to acquire on death row and superimposed on the story.

2 comments:

  1. That's an interesting thought! There were a lot of good lines. I hadn't thought about how Frank's hindsight might have an impact on how the story was told.

    For some reason I kept forgetting while I was reading that it was the '30s. I kept shifting it to the '50s. I wonder why that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe because it seemed to racy for the '30s? Or maybe the conversational tone of the narrative is something we associate with later decades?

    ReplyDelete